Moorfields’ Stars is the annual event to celebrate the achievements of some of the many excellent staff at Moorfields Eye Hospital and the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology over the past 12 months. Moorfields Eye Charity is supporting this year’s Moorfields’ Stars and we are delighted to be a part of this special event. We are thrilled to share with you the shortlisted finalists in each award category.
Over 300 nominations were received in total, with patients, friends and family members of patients, and carers embracing our new ‘patient choice’ award, submitting nearly 200 nominations in total. We are extremely grateful to everybody who took the time to recognise the excellent staff at Moorfields and the work they do on a daily basis.
This year, we introduced a new award category for Stars of 2016: the charity champion award.
The winners will be announced at the Moorfields’ Stars award ceremony on Tuesday 28 March 2017.
Chairman’s award for an outstanding contribution to Moorfields:
- Carole Thomas, orthoptist – Croydon
- Lai Cheong, sister – Darent Valley
- Mukhtar Bizrah, specialist registrar – City Road
Chief executive’s star of the year:
- Aileen Quiroga, staff nurse – City Road
- Heather Wilcox, executive assistant to the chief executive and chairman – City Road
- Roxanne Crosby-Nwaobi, head of clinical research nursing – City Road
Moorfields’ team of the year:
- IT support services – trust-wide
- New patient enquiry team – Moorfields Private
- Northwick Park theatre team – Northwick Park
Moorfields Eye Charity’s award for innovation, research or education:
- #knowyourdrops campaign team, pharmacy and communications – trust-wide
- Pearse Keane, honorary consultant – City Road and UCL Institute of Ophthalmology
- Stephen Chinn, senior information analyst – City Road
The patient choice award:
- Hazel Lawrence, medical secretary – City Road
- Mackellar Ward – City Road
- Peter Coggin, senior ocular prosthetist – City Road
The charity champion award:
- Edmore Ncumbe, staff nurse – St. George’s
- Flossie Donovan, play specialist – Richard Desmond Children’s Eye Centre
- Professor Jim Bainbridge, consultant ophthalmologist – City Road