Research Training Fellowships
Our Research Training Fellowship scheme gives medical, nursing, optometry and allied health professionals support to complete vision-related research towards a PhD alongside their clinical duties.
We are committed to investing in people who can produce high quality research which will be of benefit to patients at Moorfields Eye Hospital. The Research Training Fellowship allows clinical staff to develop their research career alongside their clinical role.
Application deadline and decision timelines
There is one round of applications a year.
Awarded Fellowships are at the clinical pre-doctoral or entry level. To consider applying for a Research Training Fellowship you will, at a minimum, be able to demonstrate some prior research experience and the potential and ability to pursue a PhD with an intention to develop long-term research interests.
If applicants have already (or soon will) registered and started their PhD, it is expected that they would not have completed more than 12 months (pro rata for part time).
Applicants may either currently employed by Moorfields Eye Hospital/the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology or intending to hold their Fellowship at either institution.
How much can I apply for?
- Full time (3 years) or part time (5 year) salary support, commensurate with current salary level.
- Up to 2 clinical sessions per week (pro rata for part time)
- Consultant or equivalent salary levels will not be considered under this scheme.
- EU/UK PhD registration fees
- Research expenses for directly related research costs up to a normal maximum of £20,000 per year (pro rata).
Funding can be requested for a full time (3 year) or part time PhD (5 years).
Before you begin
Please ensure that you have read the following