Start of the art and innovative equipment is critical for the advancement of research and understanding. Our Equipment Grants provide funding for multi-user, large pieces of equipment which will support cutting-edge current and future research.
Equipment Grants are expected to enhance or establish centralised, multi-user facilities. To help advance more than one area of research and to embed a clear cost recovery and sustainability plan.
Application deadlines and decision timelines
There are two rounds of applications this financial year 2020/21.
Round 2 – Autumn 2021
- Opens: 17 May 2021
- Closes: 22 July 2021 at 12pm
- Outcome: applicants will be notified in December 2021
These grant applications must include a number of key users from across a range of teams or groups. Therefore, potential applicants are advised to start planning and coordinating their application well in advance of the deadline to ensure they prepare a strong and compelling proposal.
The grant programme is not intended to support small items of equipment or where equipment will be restricted for use by a very limited number of individuals. Clinical equipment is not normally considered within this grant programme.
Institutional lead applicant
- The lead applicant should always be the director of the host institution as equipment grants are awarded at the institutional level.
Application primary contact
- The application primary contact is expected to be the individual leading on the coordination of the application and who will be a key member of the team who oversee the equipment. The application primary contact must hold an academic or clinical post with Moorfields Eye Hospital or the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology and will normally be in receipt of salary funding for the duration of the grant.
Key equipment users
- Key equipment users must hold an academic or research post (or equivalent) at a recognised organisation. Collectively they must be key to the development of the equipment as a resource and/or have specific relevant experience of the equipment which will ensure its successful use.
For any enquiries please contact the Grants and Research Team.
How much can I apply for?
Funding can be requested for direct equipment cost (or contribution towards). A minimum request of £50,000 is expected as this scheme is not intended to support the purchase of small or research team specific items of equipment.
The expectation is that applications would not normally exceed £250,000 and that a contribution from an external funder or internal funds will be included. If your application is likely to exceed this cost or you do not have matched funding, you are advised to contact the Grants and Research Team before starting to prepare an application.
The normal grant duration for Equipment Grants is 12 months.
The length of grant represents the time required to go to tender, purchase, install and activate any service contracts. The grant length is not intended to represent the usage life of the equipment.
Before you begin
Please ensure that you have read the following: